Deliberate Practice for Psychotherapists
How do the good become great? Practice! From musicians to athletes to surgeons to chess masters, professionals rely on Deliberate Practice to achieve expertise. Drawing from the Science of Expertise, this workshop teaches evidence-based methods to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of your professional development. The workshop includes experiential exercises for participants to try Deliberate Practice themselves.
The workshop includes:
• The theory and principles of Deliberate Practice
• How to use Deliberate Practice to enhance the development of your clinical skills
• How to assess the effectiveness of clinical skill development
This workshop is based on the books Deliberate Practice for Psychotherapists, Mastering the Inner Skills of Psychotherapy: A Deliberate Practice Handbook, and the edited volume The Cycle of Excellence: Training, Supervision, and Deliberate Practice.
Free videos and Deliberate Practice exercises are available here: www.dpfortherapists.com
1. Describe five principles of deliberate practice
2. List three major findings from the Science of Expertise
3. Describe a method for developing deliberate practice exercises